The NHCLC invites Evangelicals to join together and form a coalition to improve the American public education system, which educates more than 90% of U.S. students. Our efforts would be uniquely Christian, as we approach our advocacy and action from a perspective of Biblical justice and educational equality.
Evangelicals have never before fully aligned in support of public education equity and quality. There ispowerful potential for this organization to influence public opinion and local action, helping to ensure that foundational Christian principles are honored as we support academic excellence for all students. Media interest will be significant and will grow as a variety of national-recognized voices join the coalition.
This coalition will not be a short-term initiative, but rather a long-term commitment to providing each generation access to consistently high quality educational opportunity in the United States. We believe literate students who are able to think critically and solve problems will become the backbone of not only a strong democratic society but also of a biblically-literate and justice-minded Church.
Purposes of a Faith & Education Coalition:
- Demonstrate that Evangelicals are deeply committed to supporting and speaking into a qualityAmerican public education for all children.
- Offer a fresh point of view in public dialogue on public education, educational standards, and educational equity.
- Strengthen the importance of “whole person education,” that understands how values undergird the educational process.
- Ensure literacy skill development through consistent educational expectations, including complex text analysis, which is a foundation for Biblical literacy for all American children.
- Create opportunities for prayer and/or action by individuals and churches regarding legislation and other education issues.
- Create resources that inform and support churches and Evangelical organizations in taking action on educational equity.
- Help reduce perceived conflicts between faith and education, science and belief, or other impediments to continuing, positive dialogue between Church and educational leaders in America.
- Offer the opportunity to connect Evangelical college and university professors and college-aged students to this discussion and to bring their voices into public discussion.
- Help ensure that home-schooled children of faith have equal access and opportunity across the educational spectrum.
Values of the Faith & Education Coalition:
As Evangelical Christian leaders, we call for bipartisan support of quality public education that…
- Respects the God-given dignity and value of every child.
- Protects the right of parents to lead and guide their children’s education.
- Demands high educational standards and equitable education opportunities for all American children, including implementation of the high and equal educational standards comparable across states.
- Respects the local districts’ and states’ rights to determine educational standards, methods and curricular choices.
- Ensures fairness to taxpayers We urge our nation’s leaders to work together with the American people to implement education policies that support high standards and educational equity.
To get involved in the Faith and Education Coalition today click here.
To read the NHCLC EDUCATION REFORM WHITE PAPER – By Dr. Jesse Miranda and Dr. Gus Reyes click here.